As a child I had a lot of questions about life - in fact, I had so many questions my family “affectionately” referred to them as “Jana Questions,” and unanimously agreed that Jana Questions didn’t always require an answer. Perhaps that’s because my favorite question usually started out with a, “Why?” Why is the sky blue? Why do chickens have feathers instead of fur? Eventually, I was only allowed so many Jana questions per day. As I got a little older, I began asking a few other “why” questions - for example, I couldn’t understand why in the world at seven o’clock in the evening, my dad would order me to go make my bed when, in just a few short hours, I’d be climbing into it and messing it all up again! And why did I need to clean my room when I was the only one who ever went in there? I learned pretty quickly that, although I didn’t understand it, my “why?” was unacceptable in such situations. I remember very vividly my father’s response, “Jana, I told you to do something. Even if you don’t understand it, obey first and then you can come back and ask me, ‘why?’” The conversation always ended with these words: “Slow obedience is no obedience.”
Since we made the decision to leave Tuscaloosa, we’ve asked and been asked countless questions. Why would God move you from Tuscaloosa? Ministry’s never been better and you’re seeing so much fruit, why now?! Do you think you need more stress in your life? Why in the world would you pick up and move when you’re pregnant . . . and you have no idea where you’re going? Wouldn’t it make more sense to at least wait until the baby comes? Believe me, I’ve asked myself the very same questions! And that’s when I’m reminded of that childhood lesson, “obey first, then come back and ask why - slow obedience is no obedience.” As my dad, in all his infinite wisdom, helped me to understand so many years ago, we may not always understand what our Father is asking us to do (or why), regardless, when God tells us to do something, we must simply obey and trust that He has a reason and a plan.
Thus, without all of the answers, we have followed in obedience. We have left so many great friends, some truly amazing students, and a job that we both loved. Although it has not been easy, God has been so faithful. When our lease was up on our house and we had no place to stay for three weeks, He provided a guest room at our generous friends’ house; knowing we’d need a place of transition to pull away and pray and truly seek His guidance, God provided (through our parents) a lake house, with no cost for rent or utilities. And, even though we had no clue where to start looking for our next journey in life, God brought us to the attention of approximately 15 different YFC ministry centers across the country, each of which have contacted us of their own initiative, asking that we consider the potential opportunities that their chapter could bring! And if that wasn’t enough, He’s blessed us with an incredibly easy pregnancy and, so far, a very healthy baby boy. With every doctor’s appointment I’m told that things couldn't look any better or more perfect - Praise God!
So, although things have not been “ideal” by our (or anybody else’s) standards, we rest assured in the knowledge that God’s ways are higher than our ways, and His plan and timing are absolutely perfect! We are hopeful that by this time next month we will be able to announce where we feel God is taking us next on this journey we call life.


1 comment:
Naner - thanks for reminding me of those funny times growing up. Think we'll do the same thing to our kids??
Do you make your bed today? I don't -- didn't stick with me. Don't tell Dad!
I love you!
Post a Comment