Before moving to Alabama I knew absolutely nothing of Bear Bryant, Alabama football or sweet tea. I never knew there was a place where kids (teenage adolescents!) actually said "yes, sir" and "thank-you, ma'am" when responding to authority figures, such as parents or teachers. And I didn't trust the Southern hospitality that the South is known for. I just knew that behind every sweet smile and "Bless your heart!" there was a conniving "You're so stupid!" suppressed and just dying to come out! It wasn't too long before my ignorant stereotypes were shattered, but it really wasn't until recently that I realized what incredible lifelong friends and surrogate families I've been blessed with in the process. I already miss them terribly.
In our last weeks in Alabama so many stepped up to help us pack, move our things to storage, and clean our filthy house . . . our best friends welcomed us with open arms to live for a few weeks in their guest bedroom while we prepared to move . . . parents and kids worked effortlessly to put together a surprise going away party for us, and our Sunday school class threw us an incredible baby shower because they didn't want us to leave without one! With our closest family being 800 miles away, each friend, student and parent became a part of our extended family and took us in as theirs. I've never felt more genuinely loved by people I've known such a short time. I can only hope that a little bit of their thoughtful, sweet spirit and loving hospitality has rubbed off on me in some way. There really is something to say for "Southern folk" - and A LOT for this California girl to still learn!
Some of the kids who came to our surprise going away party
My girls: the ones who've loved me, challenged me, encouraged and supported me - they came into my life at just the right time. Little Sadie was born just days before we left.
D. with Sadie
My hubby and TMonk enjoying T's new grill!
Micah's cookie cake from the shower
I love and admire this girl so much - me and Dusti
Of course we couldn't leave w/o a Bama sweatshirt for Micah!
My parents made the trek to be at the shower and help us finalize our move. They were a huge help!
Saying goodbye . . . just moments before parting ways - how are we smiling??


4 comments:
Are you SURE that "bless your heart" doesn't mean "you're so stupid"??
It's amazing what living in CA for most of our lives has done to us...there IS a world outside of CA! =)
Glad we both found it!
yeah, you're back! it's a wonder i still check this thing!!! and i love the curly hair! so cute!!!
Love the hair. Love the pink on you. Glad you're back to blogging. ;)
Aim - thanks! i know, i wouldn't blame you if you'd given up on my blog a long time ago! i don't know how you guys find time to stay on top of this thing!!! lol.
Uncommon - thanks for the compliments and thanks for reading! :) i'm doing my best to update . . bear w/ me! ;)
Post a Comment