Monday, August 18, 2008

Fair Traditions

Growing up, one of my favorite traditions was going to the fair in the Fall! I remember going with my family and friends and spending the day eating lots of junk food, looking at the animals, and riding rides. And later in life, I found myself working at the fair year after year (selling pagers, ha!) for weeks at a time. We'd have a blast entertaining ourselves in between customers by people watching (have you ever noticed how fairs bring out some interesting folk??) and sneaking off to snag a cinnamon roll or corn dog from a local vendor. Ahh, the cinnamon rolls . . . if you've ever been to the Kern County Fair and NOT gotten one of the worlds greatest oooey gooey lots of yummy cinnamon rolls you're totally missing out!!! I think they're my absolute favorite thing (and the one thing I look forward to most) about the fair!

Well, we went to the fair last weekend and had a blast, but much to my dismay, our experience did not include cinnamon rolls. I really can't complain though. The day was absolutely gorgeous - 80 degrees, sunny, blue sky, white fluffy clouds, and a nice cool breeze . . . PERFECT! We spent about 6 hours walking around with our friends Adam and Sarah, going through exhibits, looking at the animals, and eating lots of food that we'll spend the next 6 months trying to work off! Micah seemed to really enjoy watching all the people (he definitely takes after his mama!) and learning about the animals. Here are a few pics from our 1st experience at the Indiana State Fair. . .



A tradition of Adam & Sarah's is to get grilled corn . . . he swore it was the best EVER (too bad, they accidentally bought the roasted corn!) - apparently this is a big tradition throughout Indiana b/c these corn stands were everywhere!






This guy was insanely excited about his job . . . and, yes, that sign does say, "Running of the Roaches!" - he was overseeing cockroach races!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!


Dan decided that the reason nobody can find a Wii anywhere is because the fair bought them all!! There were a ton there to try out and Dan and Micah had fun on the Wii Fit head-butting soccer balls into the net! They kicked Adam's butt! :)


Apparently eating meat as big as your head and right off the bone makes you more manly . . . I think it's just plain sick!




Sarah practicing to be a mommy - only 4 more months!! ;)






What are some of your fair traditions??

7 comments:

See Sherm Blog said...

Oh the Kern County Fair!! I miss the fair!! I don't think I've been since high-school. But usually my tradition was to ride the rides (that didn't have throw-up on them) and to go to a country concert. I never ended up eating the food... other than the Boy Scouts who sold nachos. :-) I really want to go back and go with Danny, Angela and Braden!

Micah looks adorable in all your pictures! That last one of you two is sooo cute. I love the serious look on his face. :-)

Carrie said...

So cute!! My sister always said the corn up there was the BEST! She would sometimes bring us some. I'm glad to read your blog again :)

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!!!! A real posting from Jana! and a new background, which I LOVE! I'm glad to see and read you're new entry. Have fun!

Jana said...

cole - i don't think i ever had the nachos at the fair . . but my very first real concert WAS there - it was Little Texas, Brooks & Dunn, and Aaron Tippen . . does it get more country than that?!! I went w/ katie bailey (remember her?) and our older sisters :) we thought we were so cool sitting in the nose bleeds! lol.

carrie - yeah, the corn was pretty stinkin good but i can't handle it on the cobb - it gets stuck in my teeth and drives me nuts so i just tasted dan's.

hol - thanks! :) i knew you'd be excited to see a change on my page! lol and YAY that you actually commented!!!

Amy said...

looks like fun!

i love your new background and stuff. I spent some time the other day trying to figure mine out. I was unsuccessful! I'll try again...

Rach said...

Cute new layout. Oh, the fair. We apparently have one here, too, but I've never been. I gave M a hard time about never taking me to the fair, but I was pregnant when I was giving him grief. So, he said he couldn't take me on any rides then, anyways. Oh well. But, my tradition... corn dog at the Teen Challenge booth. And, salt water taffy... didn't they have salt water taffy somewhere there?

Brent and Julie said...

I absolutely love the cinnamon rolls. I think that is one of the only reasons I go to the fair.

I love the new header pic. It is too funny!