Thursday, November 06, 2008

Oh Happy Day . . . (can you sense the sarcasm?)

I woke up my beautiful son this morning at 5:30am (it's Thursday . . . we get up that time every Thursday for our jr. high CL club) only to discover this . . .



My poor boy could hardly even open his eyes because of all of the nasty eye boogers and crusties that had formed during the night (this pic was after a bath and lots and lots of wiping w/ a washcloth!). Once I got him into the light, I could see just how swollen and red both eyes were and I knew immediately what it was. So, after club this morning, I rushed over to our peds office (can I tell you just how much I LOVE NorthStar Peds?!!!) - they have walk-in hours every morning and afternoon and somehow I made it there 1st this morning!! Dr. Kristen was laughing the whole time she was checking Micah because he was so wound up!! Talking, laughing, pointing, ripping up the "sanitary" paper that he was supposed to be sitting on, crawling everywhere, and standing up on the table and banging on the walls!! She was completely amazed by the boy's energy and attitude and I'm sure would've thought I was insane for bringing him in and thinking he was sick at all, if his eyes hadn't looked so bad! Especially after checking and discovering that not only does he have pink eye (in BOTH eyes), but he has an ear infection as well (apparently those go together most times?)! How is this boy STILL smiling?!!


(sorry about the bad photo quality - this was taken w/ my phone in the dr's office this am)

It couldn't have hit on a worse day than today . . . we had our annual banquet tonight for work and Dan and I were to be the M.C.s for the evening. That all changed when the caterers for the banquet kicked me (and Micah) out of the building because they're idiots and claim that pink eye is "air borne" and were convinced it would pass through the food they were serving (just the mere fact that he was in the same room!) and get all the guests sick! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!? Needless to say, I was sent home. I was so disappointed and frustrated - I wanted to be there so badly tonight! And, of course, that meant that everyone had to move their speaking parts around (hours before the program!) to accommodate my absence. STUPID CATERERS!

I guess it's probably for the best anyway . . . Micah and I were able to come home and relax a little and he made it to bed early. And, of course, now MY eyes are itching (I'm hoping and praying its all in my head) and I'm getting a sore throat. Grrr.

** In other news, I've had 5 different blogs going on in my head . . . so much to catch up on (Mom & Dad's visit, my 30th birthday, Micah's 1st word and new tricks, Halloween & all its festivities, etc)!! I'm hoping to get those down in writing in the NEAR future (along w/ all the pictures to go w/ them!). Thanks for sticking w/ me and continuing to check on us, despite my inability to keep up!!

9 comments:

Rach said...

It is about dang time, woman! Seriously, I'm so sorry for Micah. What a trooper, though. I don't think I ever thought pink eye was air borne, but it is contagious, right?

Sally said...

So, did you prove that stupid lady wrong??

Jana said...

rach - i know, i know . . and, yes, it is contagious but only by contact . . . so you'd have to touch his eyes or the gunk coming out of it and then touch your eyes to get it (from what the nurse told me). so noone there could've actually caught it from him through the food or anything else unless they had contact w/ him.

sal - no, i didn't PROVE her wrong (how could i?) . . . i just left. :(

Sally said...

that's what i meant...did you find out that she was wrong.

Holly said...

yay janalynne!!! sorry for the little guy though. i used to get that a lot growing up, no fun. i've got to update my blog this weekend with baby shower pics. too much to do!!!! :)

Jennifer said...

Yeah for new blog, homemade scented pinecones coming next!!! woohoo, hehe (jk you)...BUT BOO for pink eye, poor lil guy =( It doesn't seem to bother him much, so that is GREAT. What do those caterer's Know...pshhh!!!! "airborne" NOT!!!! I can't believe they seriously kicked you guys out on the street. Seems like a movie!!! How sad is that...wow. I hope you "brushed" by them on the way out...haha.

Jana said...

LOL. k, seriously jenn, i just laughed OUT LOUD. by myself. in my living room!!!

Eliza said...

Wow...

How's it going putting the goop in his eyes? We had to swaddle Micah in that dumb swaddle thing before we could put the drops in his eyes. I was too paranoid he'd move and I'd poke him in the eye.

Jana said...

actually, liz, we didn't have to do the eye drops!! she gave us amoxicylin (sp?) - an oral antibiotic - and some numbing drops for his ears. but NO eye drops!! i was so glad! it's hard enough getting him to sit still enough to do saline drops in the nose and then use the bulb syringe!