Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Sunny San Diego?

We gathered our luggage (which included two suitcases, a diaper bag, stroller, car seat, laptop computer, breast pump, and my purse) and headed for the door of the airport. Excited about the opportunity to leave the single digit temperatures of Indianapolis and spend a few days in the California sun, D and I took off our sweatshirts, tied them around our waists, and threw on our sunglasses. Smiling, we stepped outside only to be greeted by dark billowing clouds and a chilling breeze. Augh. Are you kidding me?! I mumbled.

We crossed the road and waited for the shuttle that would take us to the Town & Country Resort - our home for the next 5 days. When our shuttle didn't show, we gave in to a middle-aged hispanic man who promised he'd get us wherever we needed and would only charge $10 a person, the rate we were prepared to pay for the other shuttle. Somehow, we managed to fit 17 people (and all our luggage) in a 15 passenger van and arrive safely at our hotel! It was only hours later that the sky began to drop . . . I got to our room, turned on the local news channel and was disappointed to hear that this was only the first of three storms that would hit the Pacific Coast over the next 5 days! My hopes of visiting the beach and showing my husband and baby boy beautiful San Diego were diminishing. It was right about then that my husband turned to me, while pulling out his rain jacket, and asked, Isn't San Diego known for having perfect weather?! I just shot him a look and threw on my sweatshirt.

I had to remind myself that we were there for work and just being back in the state of California made me happy, but was it too much to ask for sunny weather?? Everyone we talked to made sure to tell us about how, until just a few days before, it had been 80 degrees!! And the meteorologists all assured us that that weather would return on Wednesday - great . . . we leave Sunday. Despite the weather, we had a fabulous time seeing so many friends that we only see once a year (other CL directors from across the country), and my parents drove down from Bako to see us and help out w/ Micah while D & I were in sessions. And, we DID get one day of sunshine so we made a beeline for the beach and Balboa Park. Here are some pics from our trip.


The first time the sun actually poked through the clouds!!




I LOVE the Pacific Ocean!


Micah had fun playing with Mema and Papa!



And the lighting at Balboa Park was PERFECT for capturing some oh-so-fun pictures of only the cutest boy EVER! ;) (Okay, so I may be a little biased)





12 comments:

Eliza said...

You probably don't want me to tell you about our 67 and sunny weather we had today...and should have through the weekend. I can only pray that when you come out in 14 days, it will still be this beautiful (however if you had listened to me and just stayed out here...it would be sunny for you!)

Sally said...

Oh my gosh, he's so cute!! I LOVE the pictures of Dad w/ Micah.

Sally said...

Oh, and I can't wait to see you in 2 weeks!! And meet the other Micah and Hudson and Grady...wow, boys, boys, boys!

Sally said...

One more thing...Your hubby HAS seen sunny SD, remember the football game after Thanksgiving when it was 80 degrees?? Guess you just need to go there around Christmastime to get good weather.

And there better be good weather when we're in Bako in 2 weeks!!

Jana said...

yeah, he did see sunny san diego then, but all we did was drive into town, go to the game, and leave. he didn't get to see anything of san diego other than the stadium so we had big plans for this trip!! ;)

Carrie said...

Those are some great pictures of Micah! I am convinced we need a new camera! Those ones of Noah's "friends" were in the living room with all the lights and lamps on and they still stunk.

Rach said...

Oh my word. Micah is just yummy in those pictures with his little beanie. So precious! I am hoping for good weather when you are in CA, too, since I'll be there then and I don't like cold weather. Glad you had a safe trip and your folks were able to meet up with you and baby Micah. :)

Amy said...

i loooove the picture with his tounge sticking out....looks just like his mama!

Christine said...

Wow! He's holding his head up so well! Changed even in the past few weeks. So jealous that you got to be in nice weather! Love all the pics!

Sara said...

Oh how cute Micah is! I've never been to your blog before but now I'll be stopping by!

I planned a surprise trip one year for Larry to SD and was so impressed with myself that I found this amazing hotel for a super good price. So off we went and...we had the EXACT experience you had. No one had told me about June Gloom. :(

Getting Ready for 30 said...

SUCH CUTE PICTURES!!! Sorry you weren't able to experience the usually constant sun when you were down here in SD. That seems to happen a lot when people come to visit... but I promise, SD is usually sunny and over 70!

Melinda said...

that's why you should come to santa cruz. Its lovely!! ha ha!! Come on a Wednesday and you can learn to surf with me and the jr High girls!! Yeah!!