Friday, November 09, 2007

It's 5:00 am . . .



. . . And I've been up for an hour! Can't breathe, can't find a comfortable position, can't sleep.

Since getting pregnant, I've gotten all sorts of advice from people: what to/not to register for, what brand diapers, strollers or car seat is best, what I should/shouldn't be eating, etc. But for the last few weeks the one thing I keep hearing from everyone is, "Get your sleep while you can!"

I respond in the only way I know how - I smile, laugh a little . . . and smile again. All the while thinking, Are you kidding me?? If you've been through this before you should KNOW that no pregnant woman (especially THIS late in the game) gets any kind of sleep!
I was at Home Depot the other day when the woman at the counter asked me when I was due. "Next week," I said. To which she responded, "Wow! I bet you're ready to have him out!"

"Actually, I'm just ready to get some good sleep!" Of course, she gave me this look like, Lady, you MUST be a first time mom, cause if you think you're gonna get "good sleep" once he's here, you're an IDIOT!

Let me explain: It's been at least 8 months since I've had a good night's sleep - first it was waking up every hour or two to use the restroom . . . in more recent months it's been the dry mouth, indigestion, urge to pee, and/or inability to find a comfortable position that has kept me from anything deeper than a light sleep. I've tossed and turned, sat up, drank water, waddled to the bathroom, even tried sleeping upside-down in the bed (hey, sometimes it works!) . . . I've done it ALL . . . all, but slept! SO here's MY thinking (and maybe I'm wrong?) . . . I understand that a newborn is going to have me up at all hours of the night, with only a few precious hours in between to sleep (so how is that really different than now??) - at least once he's here I'll be able to get into a comfortable position (mainly on my back or stomach!) and sleep WELL for two hours at a time!!

All that to say . . . It's 5-something AM . . . and here I sit, blogging at my computer . . . dreaming of and looking forward to a few hours of "good sleep" . . .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jana...I hear ya! I remember those days very well! I remember just aimlessly walking around the house at like 2 a.m. b/c I couldn't sleep...it was the most annoying thing:) And your right, once Micah comes you can nap when he naps and so on:) Can't wait to hear when he comes!

Sally said...

And where oh where was Danny Boy during all of this restlessness?? I tell B that Little Major wants Daddy to rub my belly...that relaxes me and I can fall asleep.

Maybe I've been channeling you the last couple nights because I have not slept AT ALL either. Besides my normal having to pee every 90 minutes, I can't fall back asleep when I get back to my bed. And you're telling me I have 5 1/2 more months of this to look forward to?? Help!

Brent and Julie said...

I love this blog because the same thing happened to me. Everyone said "sleep while you can." I thought they were crazy because how can a pregnant woman sleep? I think what they should say instead is...enjoy your quiet moments alone and even though you can't sleep at least you have the "option" of getting out of bed when you want. Nothing is forcing you to get up. :) Congratulations and I can't wait to see pics of your little one.

Jana said...

thanks, julie! :) i'll definitely get pics up when he's here!

sally - hopefully you'll get more sleep than i have, but, yes, count on not getting "good" sleep for the remainder of the pregnancy (at least not consistently)! ;)