Friday, April 18, 2008

Shake, Rattle & Roll!!!

I awoke this morning to the shaking of my bed and what sounded like an unbalanced washing machine. Now, although I do laundry on a daily basis (due to the countless outfit changes that take place between me and my son and all his upchucking), I wracked my brain trying to figure out how in the world the washing machine got turned on at 5:30 in the morning?? I then heard water sloshing in the toilet and wondered if maybe D had just gotten back in bed after using the restroom and that's what had woken me up.

What was that?! I asked, placing my hand on him to make sure he was in fact in bed beside me. In his groggy state, all I got was a, Huh? I dunno . . . and he quickly fell back to sleep.

But I knew. I grew up in California. When things rattle and water sloshes in the toilet it can only mean one thing: Earthquake!! But in Indianapolis?? In the Midwest?? This is tornado country, people! This is where I work to convince people (including my husband) that earthquakes are way "better" than tornadoes . . and they argue that I'm wrong, simply because they've just never felt an earthquake and are freaked because (don't you know??) when earthquakes happen the ground inevitably opens up and swallows you!

But it was as I have said. Nothing fell off the walls. No one was hurt. The ground didn't even crack. Most of the people missed it because they were either driving or sleeping. Heck, my husband didn't even wake up!! HA! So much less climactic than a tornado! No sirens went off, winds were not howling and nothing was sucked into the horrifying abyss! And, yet, it is the talk of the town.

"Where were YOU at 5:39 this morning when THE EARTHQUAKE hit??"

3 comments:

Christine said...

I kept waiting to hear thunder or rain or something. I just couldn't wrap my brain around it even though my instincts and experience told me it was an earthquake. Jeff slept through it too. I'm just glad our house didn't slide into the creek!

See Sherm Blog said...

hahaha... I think I have slept through more earthquakes that I have been awake for. You're right... Earthquakes are "better" than tornadoes. I would much rather spend 25 seconds under the door frame of my bedroom.... than an hour in a storm shelter under the house.

Carrie said...

At 5:39 I was hitting snooze one more time.

We had one in Auburn while I was there. I woke up for a second and went back to sleep. Adam was in the shower and felt it.